- August 2015–present, MS/PhD student, Plant Pathology, Plant Pathology & Plant-Microbe Biology Section, School of Integrative Plant Science, Cornell University
- 2015, B.A., Biology (with Global Development Studies concentration), Grinnell College
- 2015, B.A., Russian, Grinnell College
Graduate Advisor: Rebecca Nelson
I aim to empower smallholders by linking the biology of plant disease to the global dialogue around food security and international development. Specifically, my research is geared toward identifying critical biological and environmental factors that influence accumulation of harmful mycotoxins in food systems, and generating spatiotemporally-aware datasets that can inform mycotoxin assessment and mitigation strategies throughout the food value chain. I am currently focused on characterizing risk factors associated with village-level mycotoxin exposure in rural India, with the ultimate goal of framing a stakeholder-friendly toxin monitoring and mitigation approach informed by the respective ecologies of key mycotoxigenic organisms.
- December 2015–present: TCi Scholar, Tata-Cornell Agriculture and Nutrition Initiative.
- August 2015–present: Graduate Research Assistant, Plant Pathology and Plant Microbe Biology, Cornell University.
- May–August 2015: Field Intern, University of New Mexico Sevilleta Field Station.
- August 2014–May 2015: Mentored Advanced Project (MAP) Research, Department of Biology, Grinnell College.
- January 2013–May 2015: Research Tutor, Grinnell College Libraries, Grinnell College.
- June–August 2014: USDA-ARS/World Food Prize Wallace-Carver Fellow, USDA-ARS Crops Pathology and Genetics Research, Davis, California.
- February–May 2014: Intern, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- July–August 2013: USDA-ARS Research Intern, USDA-ARS Cereal Disease Laboratory, St. Paul, Minnesota.
- May–June 2013: NCSU-UCR Global Plant Health Intern, Department of Phytopathology, University of Costa Rica, San Jose.
- May–August 2012: Kelman Scholar, USDA-ARS/Department of Plant Pathology, North Carolina State University.
- June–August 2011: Borlaug-Ruan International Intern, International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology, Mbita, Kenya.
- June–August 2010: Research Intern, USDA-ARS/World Food Prize (Minnesota), St. Paul, Minnesota.
Awards and Honors
- 2015 Phi Betta Kappa, Chapter Beta of Iowa.
- 2012 World Food Prize John Crystal Award.
Elected and Appointed Offices
- 2014–present – Editor, Undergraduate Journal of Peace and Conflict Studies
- 2013–2015 – Member, Peace and Conflict Studies Committee, Grinnell College
- 2014–2015 – Member, Center for Prairie Studies Advisory Board, Grinnell College
- 2013–2015 – Member, Student Educational Policy Committee, Department of Russian, Grinnell College
- 2014–2015 – Chair, Student Educational Policy Committee, Department of Global Development Studies, Grinnell College
- Jacobson K, van Diepeningen A, Evans S, Fritts R, Gemmel P, Marsho C, Seely M, Wenndt A, Yang X, Jacobson P. (2015) Non-Rainfall Moisture Activates Fungal Decomposition of Surface Litter in the Namib Sand Sea. PLoS ONE 10(5): e0126977. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0126977