- August 2010-present, PhD student, Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology concentrations, Department of Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology, Cornell University.
- 2006-2009, MSc, Plant Agriculture, University of Guelph
- 2002-2006, BSc, Plant Biotechnology, University of Guelph
Current Graduate Advisor: Sorina Popescu
The Popescu lab is developing several techniques for high-throughput measurement of effector-kinase interactions using the tomato-Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae model pathosystem. I use protein microarrays to examine protein-protein interactions and kinase activity.
I’m also interested in characterizing the role of individual kinases in stress-induced signal transduction. I using genetic and biochemical approaches to understand how kinases of interest contribute to salt tolerance and PAMP-triggered immunity.
- 2009-2010 Researcher, International Potato Center, Lima, Peru
- 2009 Agricultural Consultant, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Awards and Honors
- 2013 Boyce Thompson Institute Travel Award
- 2012 MPMI Travel Award
- 2012 Cornell Graduate School Travel Award
- 2011 NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship
- 2010 Cornell Fellowship, Cornell University
Elected and Appointed Offices
- 2013 American Society of Plant Biologists Ambassador
- 2012-2013 Curriculum Committee (PPPMB)
- 2011-2012 Vice-President of the Graduate Student Association (PPPMB)
- 2010-2011 Prospective Student Committee (PPPMB)
Professional Societies and Working Groups
- International Society for Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- American Phytopathological Society
- Brauer, E.K., Popescu, S.C., Popescu, G.V. (2014) Experimental and analytical approaches to characterize plant kinases using protein microarrays. Methods Mol. Biol. 1171:217-235.
- Brauer, E.K., Singh, D.K., Popescu, S.C. (2014) Next-generation plant science: putting big data to work. Genome Biology 15: 301.
- Singh, D.K., Calviño, M. Brauer, E.K., Fernandez-Pozo, N., Strickler, S., Yalamanchili, R., Suzuki, H., Aoki, K., Shibata, D., Stratmann, J.W., Popescu, G.V., Mueller, L.A., Popescu, S.C. (2014) The Tomato Kinome and the Tomato Kinase Library ORFeome: Novel Resources for the Study of Kinases and Signal Transduction in Tomato and Solanaceae Species. MPMI 27(1): 7–17.
- Brauer, E.K. et al. (2011) Reappraisal of nitrogen use efficiency in rice overexpressing glutamine synthetase1. Physiologia Plantarum 141(4): 361.
- Brauer, EK and Shelp, BJ (2010) Nitrogen use efficiency: re-consideration of the bioengineering approach. Botany 88(2): 103-109.