July 2014 - present, Ms/PhD student, Plant Pathology, School of Integrative Plant Science, Plant Pathology & Plant-Microbe Biology Section, Cornell University
December 2013, BS in Biology, Lebanon Valley College in PA
Graduate Advisor: Dr. Marc Fuchs
My lab focuses on biology and management of plant viruses, more specifically viruses of grapevine (Vitis spp.). I am interested in the transmission of the newly characterized Grapevine red blotch associated virus. I am trying to determine the insect vector that transmits the disease and elucidate the mechanisms by which it accomplishes this. I am approaching this problem using information gained from field studies, virus transmission assays in the greenhouse, and from a molecular perspective. I am interested in using what I learn about transmission of GRBaV to help offer suggestions for disease management in the field.
- Summer 2011: Biochemistry Summer Intern. Lebanon Valley College (Annville, PA). Conducted research on the effect of polyamines on neuron regeneration and development. Supervisor: Dr. Kristen Boeshore.
- Summer 2012: Summer Scholars Intern. Cornell University (Ithaca, NY). Conducted research at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva, NY on the suppression of RNA silencing in Grapevine fanleaf virus. Supervisor: Dr. Marc Fuchs.
- Summer 2013: NSF REU Intern. University of Delaware (Newark, DE). Conducted research at the College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment in Lewes, DE on the population dynamics of a bacterium that may serve as a potential biocontrol agent of harmful dinoflagellate blooms in coastal waters. Supervisor: Dr. Kathryn Coyne.
Elected and Appointed Offices
- 2014 – Present: committee member for Prospective Students Committee and Colloquium Committee, PPPMB Graduate Student Association
- 2014 – Present: Chairperson of the Registration Committee for Expanding Your Horizons (STEM workshop for girls in NY state)
Cieniewicz & Fuchs (2014) Grapevine red blotch disease. IPM FactSheet. http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsheets/grapes/diseases/gv_red_blotch.pdf.